Hospitality Management Major
Tourism is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world, and our hospitality management program prepares you to work in event marketing and management, food service, guest services, hotel and lodging, or resort operations.
With smaller class sizes, you will make strong connections with your peers and professors. Gain real-life experiences and work in the hospitality management industry during your classes. You'll also get the opportunity to earn nationally recognized certifications, which will help you stand out when starting your career.
Moody College of Business also offers an MBA with a concentration in hospitality management on campus and 100% online.
What can I do with a hospitality management degree?
Hospitality management graduates have opportunities worldwide to manage food service operations, travel and tourism, lodging, guest services, entertainment, events, and more. You can travel or stay local with a hospitality management degree, with job prospects in hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, catering companies, resorts, parks, casinos, and airlines. You will be prepared for a successful and fulfilling career through internships, job shadowing, and hands-on learning lab experiences.
Internships & Work Experience
Through our hospitality management program, all students graduate with 800 hours of industry work experience — plus another 150 hours from internships.
Our curriculum focuses on travel and tourism, with an emphasis on successful management and promotion of all hospitality features such as entertainment, conventions, attractions, lodging, food service, tourism, and transportation.
We provide a strong technical foundation alongside hands-on experiences in all aspects of hospitality management.
- Applied Food Service Management Lab: Operation of the Hospitality Management on-campus casual dining restaurant and commercial kitchen, "Lunch Club".
- Food Preparation Lab: Features kitchen units where students learn food safety and preparation techniques.
- 800 hours of work experience plus 150 hours of internship
- Local & statewide learning opportunities
- State and national convention attendance options
- Student organization involvement
Our Ragin’ Hospitality Association business student organization and Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Honor Society provide opportunities to network and get involved in the hospitality management industry.
Tourism Right Here in Lafayette
Lafayette’s location in the heart of Cajun Country attracts thousands of visitors who spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year. Our culture is known for its delicious food, unique landscapes, and welcoming people. You’ll learn how to share that culture with people who are just visiting or who call Lafayette home.
Earn National Certifications While Obtaining Your Degree
Through our hospitality management classes, you can earn national certifications, including ServSafe Food Safety and ServSafe Alcohol. Our students have a 95% pass rate on the Hotel Industry Analytics Certification, which measures professionals’ ability to analyze hotel industry data and use it to make business decisions.
- Servsafe Food Manager Food Safety Certificate, National Restaurant Association Education Institute (valid for five years)
- Servsafe Alcohol Certificate, National Restaurant Association Education Institute (valid for four years)
- Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics, American Hotel & Lodging Association Education Institute (valid for five years)
In the Top 1%
Our hospitality management degree is the only four-year program in Louisiana accredited by Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration. We are among the top 1% of business schools worldwide accredited in both business and accounting by AACSB.